Wednesday, December 1, 2010

December 1st

Last night I was up late at Tim's work helping out with something. By the time that I went to bed, it was almost 1:00 a.m. My plan at that time was to skip running in the morning.

I've been jogging for the last month or so, but only this week have I started going out at 5:00 a.m. Previously, I was running (usually twice) between 9:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. Now while that might seem like a lovely time in parts of the U.S. this time of the season, here in Bangkok, the heat and humidity can be oppressive. Taking a clue from my wife, I decided to give the morning a try, and I really enjoyed it. Its nice and cool, and I feel like I am running faster and fresher.

Somehow I ended up waking up before 5:00 a.m. and hitting the road. Although I was pretty tired to start with, it was a pretty nice run. Of course, the rest of the day I have been dragging from the lack of sleep.

This afternoon I went over to the camera shop in the basement floor of Central Chaengwattana and bought myself a Canon 5D Mark II camera and a 580EXII Speedlite flash. I wanted to buy a battery pack for the camera, but they are currently "mot" (out of stock).

The 5D is a really nice upgrade from my 40D. Don't get me wrong, the 40D is a respectable piece of equipment, but the 5D is much nicer. In addition to greater resolution, it is full frame (bigger sensor), shoots better in lower light and overall delivers a better photo (or at least offers the possibility). Additionally, it can record video in HD.

I had a little bit of an opportunity to try it out tonight at the cub scout meeting. The lighting in there is never great, so the photos came out less than spectacular. I did manage to get a photo of Jacob's WEBELOS II den. It actually looks pretty nice, but I had the ISO set too high, so there is a bit of noise in the shot.

If you read this blog, look at my Facebook page, or visit my photos at Flickr, you'll no doubt see a lot of photos shot by this new camera.

No comments: