Just who would come on the trip changed, so did the direction of our journey. I had planned on flying to the east coast, rent a car and drive west. After giving it a lot of thought and planning out routes, I decided that we should make the drive along the Pacific coast. The new plan has several advantages,; the trip a lot shorter, the scenery is supposed to be gorgeous (no offense to the cornfields of the midwest), and I can take my own car.
So far the plan looks something like this:
- Drive from Irvine to Portland via I5. We'll stop overnight somewhere (probably Medford, OR). I know that I5 isn't the scenic route, but I just want to get north faster and we'll take in the sights on the way back.
- Spend 4 days in Portland and the surrounding area, then drive to Seattle.
- We'll spend 4 days in Seattle then head down the coast.
- Take about 4 days driving along the Pacific Coast from Seattle (may be inland for the beginning of it) to San Francisco.
- Spend 4 days in San Francisco.
- Drive down the coast from San Francisco to Irvine in 4 or 5 days.
If anyone has any recommendations or wants to try to get together when we are in town, let me know.
I plan on updating the blog with our plans as they develop.