Sunday, February 14, 2016

Cross Country - North South Style

One of the things that has floated around on my mental bucket list for a while is to drive across the country.  Originally my plan was to do a solo photographic adventure across the US.  As I thought about it more, I thought that this might be something that I could share with Jacob. I asked him if he was interested, and he immediately said yes.  Later still, I thought it would be great if my dad could join us.  For some reason I thought that he would hesitate to come, but I was definitely wrong as he enthusiastically expressed interest in the adventure.

Just who would come on the trip changed, so did the direction of our journey.  I had planned on flying to the east coast, rent a car and drive west.  After giving it a lot of thought and planning out routes, I decided that we should make the drive along the Pacific coast.  The new plan has several advantages,;  the trip a lot shorter,  the scenery is supposed to be gorgeous (no offense to the cornfields of the midwest), and I can take my own car.  

So far the plan looks something like this:
  • Drive from Irvine to Portland via I5.  We'll stop overnight somewhere (probably Medford, OR).  I know that I5 isn't the scenic route, but I just want to get north faster and we'll take in the sights on the way back.
  • Spend 4 days in Portland and the surrounding area, then drive to Seattle.
  • We'll spend 4 days in Seattle then head down the coast.
  • Take about 4 days driving along the Pacific Coast from Seattle (may be inland for the beginning of it) to San Francisco.
  • Spend 4 days in San Francisco.
  • Drive down the coast from San Francisco to Irvine in 4 or 5 days. 
If anyone has any recommendations or wants to try to get together when we are in town, let me know.
I plan on updating the blog with our plans as they develop.  

3 comments:

dk lalsot said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
dk lalsot said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
dk lalsot said...

Your subscription to The Age not only gives you unlimited access to news, analysis and commentary from award-winning journalists but also the chance to go behind the news, participate in exclusive subscriber experiences and benefits,and bryce wilson australia explore different ways of enjoying our content.