Thursday, June 16, 2011

More Internet Woes No Mo?

After we returned on Sunday from our trip to Hua Hinn, I found that our Internet service was having issues again.  Finally, I got someone from True (the provider) to look at it today.  My connection would intermittently go out, and when it was on, it was only 10% of the normal speed.

I'd reset the router dozens of times and rebooted just to make sure it wasn't something that I was doing.  The technician saw the problem, and then plugged his own router into my connection and it performed normally.  He told me that the problem was my router.

So I went over to Central and bought a new router.  When I tried to install it, I had issues, not realizing that unlike the previous device which serves as both a modem and a router, the new one only acts as a router.  Before I figured that out, I plugged the old one back in and it seemed to work just fine.  Eventually I got the new one to work as well when I found another cable modem that I have from when we moved in.

The problem is that the return policies here in Thailand generally suck.  Unlike a lot of places in the U.S. where you could return something you didn't need shortly after you buy it, here that is much more problematic.  In other words, I probably own the new router for keeps.  It is supposed to have a better range and has a couple of different wireless frequencies, so it's not all for naught.

No comments: