Sunday, November 9, 2008

Triple Standard

I think that I might have mentioned in a previous blog that Thais charge a different price for natives and foreigners to places like museums, parks and historic sites. Thais generally pay a nominal fee if any, while foreigners pay a higher rate.

As I may have mentioned, I have absolutely no problem with this policy. Paying five or ten dollars to visit the Grand Palace is not much of a burden for me. For some Thais, charging that much would put it out of their financial reach. I think it would be obscene if the wealthy people from around the world could fly and enjoy the beauties of Thailand only to have that experience denied to the Thais who live around the corner.

Recently I confirmed, however, that there is not a double standard when it comes to such pricing, but rather a triple standard. On Friday I went to the Ancient Siam, Samutprkan. This is a park that contains replicas of all of the wonders of ancient Siam. By showing my Thai driver's license, they only charged me half of the foreigner price. I'd heard about it before, but finally tried it out and it works.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Actually it can work yet another way at the national parks like in Surat Thani Tai Rom Yen, and Krabi's Crystal Pond...

Stand outside the gate by 30 meters and watch some Thai people go in. They don't pay AT ALL. The gate is wide open for anyone that wants to come in as long as they are not a foreigner. When a foreigner comes - yes, can get in for FREE in Surat for Dod Fa Waterfall with school teacher ID or maybe half price. I always got in free there. Anyway - getting back to the point... so Thais can walk through the gate all day paying nothing. UNTIL a foreigner comes WITH a Thai person - who then becomes the only Thai person to pay at all. It's so bizarre. It's not OK for those of us that live here. You might not care because you're making enough money -but, when you live here and make Thai wages then it becomes unfair as we're in a similar boat as them financially.

Luckily I get in free most times - with the school ID, driver's license, and speaking Thai, so I'm not complaining for myself. Strange how they work it though - yes?