Friday, December 4, 2009

What Were They Thinking

If you've read the blog before, you know that some Thai's take any offense against the monarchy very seriously.  Thailand has some of the strictest les majeste laws in the world.  I won't fully go into my thoughts on these laws, as some official with too much time on his or her hands may deem unflattering comments about the law prohibiting offense to the monarchy as offensive to the monarchy.  It is unlikely, but you never know.

Recently I found out that the the government had set up a web site where you can report any offense against the monarchy that you encounter.  Sounds a little Orwellian to me, but then again, no public official gets in trouble for professing his love for the monarchy too loudly if you catch my drift.  In any case, the reason I found out that the web site existed is because the Bangkok Post reported that the site had been hacked and replaced with an advertisement for a mortgage company.  I'm not sure if the advertisement was in the Thai language or if the hack originated from Thailand.  

If the person who hacked the site is in the Kingdom, they may possess great intelligence as it pertains to computers, but they certainly are lacking in wisdom.  I have near certainty that defamation of the web site will be construed as an offense against the King and they take that very seriously here.    

No comments: