Saturday, February 12, 2011

A Little Privacy

I was a parent classroom supervisor for the Alice in Wonderland performance. I was paired with one of Nalin's friend's mom. Our role was to supervise the kids while they changed into their costumes and waited for the performance to start.


I am just amazed at the mom's and teachers who seemed to think nothing of walking into the room while these fourth and fifth graders are changing. When one woman came in, I saw that a boy was still in his underwear so I told him that he might want to cover up, which he hurriedly did. She said "don't worry, I'm a mom, I've seen it before."

Yes, I understand that you have seen boys and men in their underpants. In fact, I have no doubt that every woman who entered that room had seen a penis before. My point was not to protect his mom from seeing a pair of boys underwear, but rather to try to give the boys a little privacy. And while a boy might not be bothered by their own mom seeing them changing, some would really prefer not to have someone else's mom see them. In fact, some of the boys were quite shy and didn't want to change in front of their friends.

I don't want to make a big deal about it, because it wasn't like anyone was truly mortified. I wonder though if I had walked in on the girls standing around in their underwear and quipped that I had seen it all before. So please moms, give the other boys some privacy.

No comments: