Thursday, March 26, 2009

Careful What You Wear

This is my public service announcement in the form of a humorous story.  There are people who sometimes wear a t-shirt with words written in a foreign language, even though the wearer cannot read the words.  They think the characters just look cool and do not care that they do not understand.  Sometimes that can be a bad idea. 

Oh, and I'm not sure that this story is mom safe. 

I took the kids to Dreamworld, a Thai amusement park.  Jacob and I were standing in line for a roller coaster when I spotted a teenager wearing a white t-shirt with English word in bright green letters.  My first reaction was pretty negative.  I thought, what jackass wears this out in public where there are a lot of kids.  Still, maybe he really didn't know what it meant. 

So I relaxed a bit, walked up to the kids and his friends, and in a friendly voice asked him in Thai if he understood what it meant, pointing at his t-shirt.  The teen smiled and shook his head no. 

I smiled a bit and pointed at the last word on his shirt saying this and then pointed at my crotch.  The shirt said:

He Likes
The Cock
----------->

The kids started laughing.  Then I translated it for them into Thai.  I actually said that "he loves" and pointed at my crotch again because I don't know the Thai word for penis.  My translation was a little off, as I actually know the word for like.  Also, the word I used for he was gender neutral, so they might not have known that it was specifically referring to a male.  Still I conveyed the point pretty accurately. 

The kid and his friends started laughing.  Unfortunately, I had left my camera with the nanny so that it did not get banged around on the roller coaster.  I did manage to take a picture of the kid next to his friend with my mobile phone.  The kids then took their own pictures of each other posing with the arrow pointed at them. 

So the next time you see a t-shirt that looks cool, but you can't read it, remember this story.  You might be advertising something that you are not selling.

No comments: