Friday, January 4, 2008

Alien versus Predator II

Tim and I went and saw the Alien versus Predator sequel last night. Although I've seen the first Predator movie and a few Alien movies, I have not had the "privilege" of seeing the first Alien versus Predator movie. Still, I thought that we would probably be able to catch on.

After the movie was over, she turned to me and succinctly summed up my feelings for the movie, "That was a bad movie." Now don't get me wrong, I wasn't expecting a cinematic masterpiece that the critics will be talking about for the ages. I was, however, expecting a lot more than I got.

One of the necessary elements for a successful story is to have interesting characters. You want the readers or viewers to related to the characters. Neither Alien nor Predator were very likable or interesting. They both killed humans fairly indiscriminately. The human characters were equally uninspiring. There was weak attempt at the boy loves popular girl story, but it came off really weak.

So I know, this movie is an action movie, forget the story. Aside from the fact that most compelling action films have at least a solid underlying story, the action in this film fell short. I think the problem was that most of the action was in the dark, either at night or underground. It was hard to make out exactly what was going on. When they were fighting, it was sometimes tough to tell where the alien started and the predator ended.

No comments: