Tuesday, January 22, 2008

The C Word

We found out this week that our nanny, Cat, has cancer. She has two tumors and is checking herself into the hospital tomorrow. As she will be gone an indefinite amount of time (weeks and possibly months), we are having a new nanny start tomorrow. We will really miss Cat and wish for her speedy recovery. Fortunately she has medical insurance, so we hope that she will get the treatment that she needs.

Of course, I felt like I pulled a Dave (Mallery for those of you not in the know) when I found out. Yesterday morning I came downstairs and the girls were running late. I was pretty unhappy because Nalin had about one minute to eat her breakfast before she had to leave. We've talked to Cat and Jipp before about making sure they are ready, but like many other things, they forget if you don't constantly remind them. Tim is talking to Cat and Jipp in the dining room and I come in, very unhappy. I start complaining to Tim in English about it. I said, "so what is their excuse this time?" Tim deadpans "Cat has cancer."

Okay, shit, you win. My being upset about the kids running late is very trivial compared to a life and death issue. I feel bad for Cat, but its tough trying to communicate that with her in a language I do not fully grasp.

I spoke to the new nanny on the phone, and her English isn't too bad. She costs an extra $70 per month, but that is a small price if it makes it easier for us to communicate.

Our maid was going to leave this week also. Last night she told Nalin that it was her last day, which came as a bit of a shock to me. Tim ended up talking to her this morning. Apparently the woman at the agency was a real bitch and told her that she wasn't going to pay Jipp for the month (we pay the agency who in turn pays the maid), so Jipp was going to stop working. Tim ended up working it out, so Jipp will stay until March, when she'll find out if she if her school application is accepted. While I don't love having to get a new maid in March, its good to see someone try to better herself.

The good news is that the driver has been working out well. Neither Tim nor I have had any reason to complain yet, which is very good.

No comments: