Thursday, January 17, 2008

More Speed, Less Channels

We cancelled our cable today. The first reason is that it really sucked. We had fifty or so channels, but the only one anyone really watched more than an hour or two a week was Cartoon network Asia. Its not that the shows were compelling (although Jacob enjoyed them), but there wasn't that much else to chose from.

The deciding factor for me was when I called to add the Disney channels to our subscription. The cost was only $5 or so. The problem was that the cable bill is in my landlords name. I can't make any changes directly, I have to go through her. While I understand the way that is the way it is (or was rather), I really don't like it. I don't want to have to call my landlord, explain to her what I want, and then have her call the cable company to make the change. The chances for a misunderstanding or problem are just too high. It would be like playing the telephone game with a room full of first graders.

Tim called the landlord to have it cancelled. She told us that she would give us permission (which we would need) to put up a satellite dish if we wished. I did some research, and like so many things here, its as clear as mud. I am going to hold off for a while. For the price of cable, I can buy 10 or 15 dvd's a month from the local IT mall.

The good news is that I bumped my high speed up from 256 kbps to 2.5 mbps. The cost only went from $20 to $40.

No comments: