Thursday, January 3, 2008

Mosquitoes

One of the less appealing "features" of Thailand is the abundance of little blood sucking creatures. No, I'm not talking about attorneys rather the flying variety known as mosquitoes. Thai's refer to them as yung.

Thailand's warm and humid weather are apparently the perfect breeding ground for developing the uber mosquito. Although smaller than their cousins in other places, the Thai variety make up for it in nimbleness and ferocity. Trying to swat one of these makes me feel like Grasshopper attempting to snatch the pebble from his master's hand. By the time my hand gets there, the mosquito is gone.

Okay, I know what you are thinking. Brian, you are getting to be an old man, your reflexes are just shot. I might have believed you but for a couple of reasons. First, I have seen other people swatting futilely at these little pests. My most dramatic proof, however, came during our Hong Kong visit. While in the rest room, I was accosted by Chinese mosquitoes. Four claps later and there were four less mosquitoes in the world. Master would have been proud.

No comments: