Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Ghost of Jacob

During our trip to Chiang Mai, I played around a bit with my camera. Inside one of the temples, I took some pictures using a long exposure. This required a dark area for the long exposure, and the use of a tripod.

The first two pictures are of Jacob in a temple. I had Jacob walk across the room in front of the camera. The camera exposure was four and eight seconds.


You can barely see Jacob near the center of the picture. He was slowing walking across the floor.


This exposure was eight seconds, and believe it or not, Jacob was walking along the wall the entire time the shutter was open. Even though he was walking slowly, he was never in one place long enough to show up on the picture. He was effectively invisible.



I set the timer on my tripod and walked across the room myself. I'm the orange blur on the left side of the picture.

Jacob and I had fun doing these shots. I want to work on the technique some more. Its really a trial and error on how long to keep the exposure open.

No comments: