Monday, December 29, 2008

UDD Rally

This past week, the UDD, supporters of Thaksin and the recently deposed Somchai government, started a three day rally at the Thai Parliament to protest the new Abhist government. This is the same Parliament building that was occupied by for several months by the supporters of the new government.

The front page of the paper had a picture of a mass rally, a sea of red, so I decided to go check it out myself. After working out this morning, I grabbed a taxi, and armed with my Canon 40D and a trio of lenses, I went to see what I could see.

There was a fair sized crowd on the streets around Parliament, although no where close to the size on the front page of the paper. The people that I encountered were largely extremely nice. I think that some perhaps may have thought that I represented a Western newspaper, as I sported a pretty nice set of lenses, and wore a "badge". Of course, the badge was merely my Nichada ID.

Overall my experience was very pleasant. A number of people offered me water, and some even food while I walked around photographing the event. Others were more than willing to offer themselves as targets of my pictures.

Several people had signs appealing to the U.N. to help. Others accused PM Abhist of being a draft dodger. For some "odd" reason I had visions of 1992 all over again. PM Ahbist attended school at Oxford, and must have some how avoided the compulsory military service. Or so his critics claim.

Pictures will come soon. Shooting in RAW gives me a lot of editing advantages, but one is not the quick turn around of shots.

No comments: