Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Embassy Trip

Had the wonderful privilege this morning to go down to the U.S. Embassy.  I am renewing my Thai driver's license, and it requires I provide a notarized form from my Embassy that I live at my stated address in Thailand.  I'm not really sure what value the notarization provides to the Thailand Motor Burea.  The Embassy doesn't do anything to verify my address, they just collect my thirty dollars and notarize the form. 

I took a cab to the Embassy because I really didn't want to drive down there and find parking.  When you arrive at the Embassy, you have to check in all of your electronics.  The department that handles this and passport requests is called the American Citizens Services (ACS).  When you arrive in the ACS office, you have to take a number and wait to be called.  What is frustrating is that I knew that I was going to wait so that someone could hand me a blank form that I would then fill out, pay the cashier, and return the form for processing.  They already have some forms sitting out, but not the notary ones.  It would be so much nicer if you didn't have to wait just to get a blank form.  I tried asking for one at the cashier's window, but the less than helpful lady told me that I had to wait. 

Still, even with the wait, the entire process only took about forty-five minutes.  I had a bit of trouble getting a cab on the way back home.  The first two cab drivers refused, they just didn't think it was worth it.  That happens sometimes.  You can argue, but you will not get anywhere.  Tim told me before that they are not allowed to refuse based on your location, and that you can call them in.  It really isn't worth the hassle though.  The third guy gave me a ride and I gave him a decent tip for his effort.  I think he was the cab driver who gave Tim and I a lift from the auto show. 

 

No comments: