Saturday, April 11, 2009

U.S.S. John C Stennis

Jacob and I had a great time at the U.S.S. Stennis aircraft carrier today. We rode down with Deiter and his son Adam. Adam is in Jacob's den.

Today was the only day that they were giving tours, and I think there were only four or five tours. We were really lucky to be a part of it.

I think the highlight was getting up on the flight deck and seeing the planes. The deck is four and a half acres, and over three football fields in length.

A lot of the sailors were off of the ship already, as they were going to enjoy shore leave in Pattaya. The girls in Pattaya are going to be very busy for the next couple of nights. Tim said that she even heard something on the radio about how the people were looking forward to the sailors coming.

I took some pretty decent pictures. I only took one with Jacob and I together, and it actually turned out okay.

2 comments:

navymomster66 said...

I really enjoyed your blog. Especialy the pics. My son in on the Stennis and you were my "google alert" for the Stennis this morning. Seeing your son in the Boy Scout uniform really brings back memories. I remember those days, they seem like yesterday. Patches, badges, camping, pinewood derby. Now, my boy scout has grown up to be the independent person we raised him to be and sometimes I want to turn back time so badly. He's off seeing the world. Glad ya'll enjoyed your visit to the 74. Looking forward to seeing my "boy scout" sometime this summer.

Brian V. (aka Spurlock) said...

I'm glad you enjoyed the blog and pictures. Everyone had an absolutely fabulous time.

The crew of the Stennis were all great. I'm sure they would rather have been on shore leave than showing us around or scrubbing the deck with small brushes, but they sure didn't show it.

Your son and his ship mates are doing a great service to our country. One of the advantages to living abroad for a few years, is I've actually really come to appreciate how fortunate we are in America. Its men and women like your son who help preserve that freedom for the current and future generations.