Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Science Centre Singapore Disaster

The Science Centre Singapore is definitely worth a visit for any family visiting Singapore. The Science Centre has a lot of great exhibits that are entertaining for both children and adults.

When you enter the Centre, you are in a section dedicated to optical illusions. I took this picture at an exhibit where we had Tim's head on Nalin's body.



The space section was definitely fun. The girls really liked the digital fish pond. There was an LCD screen setup like a table that looked like a fish pond. Visitors can interact with the display by moving their hand over the water, fish or lilly pads. Infrared sensors detect the movement, and simulate the interaction with the pond. In other words, if you wave your hand over the virtual water, it ripples as if you had put your hand in it.

The space section was also the site of a mini-tragedy. I was taking the picture below using my tripod and my Canon EFS 10-22 lens. The tripod was only extended to 18 or so inches high when I bumped it. It fell over, striking the carpeted floor. I've dropped my camera before on much harder surfaces, so I didn't immediately panic. I looked down and was shocked that my lens looked as if it had broken in half. At first I thought the camera itself was broken, but it was "only" the lens.

I guess I'm lucky that this was one of my less expensive lenses. It cost about $500, so its certainly not cheap. I'm going to take it somewhere this week and see if there is a chance to repair it.



One thing that I would recommend is to bring a change of clothing for the kids. There is a water section outside that the kids would really enjoy.

Here are a few more pictures.



No comments: