Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Walking in a Winter Thailand

A week or so ago I noticed that it had stopped raining. The first few months I was here, it would rain frequently for an hour or two a day. I asked Tim if the rainy season was over, and she confirmed my suspicion. In fact, it is now the winter season.

Having spent most of my life in Northern Kentucky and Southwestern Ohio, winter conjures memories of snow, cold and ice. I think of shoveling snow, sled riding, building snowmen and snowball fights.

Well, winter here is a bit different. The average LOW temperature at night is 70 degrees, while the highs get into the high 80's or low 90's.It is a bit more comfortable than during the rainy season, and it is cooler. Even so, its hardly what I consider "cold".

The Thais, however, are not all as dismissive of the cold whether as am I. Some Thais find this weather cold, and actually wear jackets. They don't wear winter coats, mind you, rather thinner fall jackets. Still, its funny to see someone wear a jacket and profess that they are old when you are sweating in shorts and a tee-shirt.

No comments: