Sunday, June 8, 2008

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Dull

Last night the family went to see Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. As you probably surmise from the title of this entry, I found this movie to be a bit of a bore. I found myself so bored at one point, that I violated every sacred movie goer tenant by powering up my cell phone to find out the time.

Sometimes I think that Lucas was more worried about making sure that he set the plot in the 1950's than he was in telling a compelling story. The action was pretty lame. I know Harrison Ford is older and perhaps not as capable and daring as he was 20 plus so years ago. I guess going into it I assumed that the magic of editing and special effects wouldn't make it look like he was moving at one third speed. Unfortunately, they failed on that account.

Indy's new sidekick was a character I saw too much of after about thirty seconds. Really lame biker type character, right. Honestly, they would have been better off resurrecting the Fonze for the part. Let's face it, Henry Winkler's over the top portrayal of the Fonze was every bit as convincing as Shia LaBeouf's Mutt Williams. As an added benefit, I would have heard the magical "hey!" with the Fonze.

The movie was two hours long, and it really didn't need to be that long. There was a scene in the beginning of the movie that really added nothing to the plot. If you wonder why something was included, the odds are it shouldn't have been at all. And don't get me started on the ground hogs. I'm still trying to figure out whether they were supposed to be a comedic effect, or whether Lucas et all were saying "Screw you all! You already paid, and this will be a block buster. I'm going to add this just so I can say at Hollywood parties 'Those trolls in the Midwest just lapped it up'" Whatever they were thinking, I think a few weeks of counseling or a few bottle of Scotch are in order.

Despite my misgivings, Tim and the kids liked the movie. Oh well.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for saving me the time and money from going to see it. I was thining I was going to wait till video but was not 100% sure...now I am.

Dave