Thursday, June 12, 2008

Out of Luck?

One of the really frustrating things about Thailand, is that retailers are so often out of things. I understand that the local grocery store might run out of certain American brands. If someone buys the last box of Fruit Loops, I realize it might take some time to get the next shipments.

But some of the shortages are really a result of poor management. When the restaurant that sits twenty feet from a grocery store is out of french fries three times in a two week period, the problem is not international supply lines. Its simply poor planning on the restaurant's part. Those times I wanted to yell, "go next door and buy a bag!", but of course if I raised my voice, I, not the unmotivated and incompetent employee would have lost face.

Today I once again ran into the classic lack of supply. One of Nalin's friends turns 7 tomorrow. I couldn't think of a good gift, and Tim suggested that I get movie tickets. "Excellent idea", I thought. So this afternoon, I went to the local movie theater to buy some tickets. The clerk at the counter didn't understand my request, so she solicited the help of a young man whose command of English was superior to my grasp of Thai. He understood what I wanted, and told me that they were out of those type of tickets. He informed me that I could put in an order, and pick up the tickets sometime next week. Since the birthday party is tomorrow, I had to demur and visit another establishment to acquire a present.

Seriously, how much does it cost to have a stock of gift tickets. I was going to spend about $20 (I was actually going to buy gifts for a couple of people). How can you not have those gift certificates on sites? I can't imagine it in the U.S, but here, its no worries. (mai been rai kab).

No comments: