Friday, June 6, 2008

Miss or Mrs.

A new law went into effect recently that allowed Thai women to pick whether they would be "Miss" or "Mrs" (actually the Thai equivelents which I don' t have handy) for public records. Prior to this law, only single women (or those whose marriage wasn't registered with the government) could identify themselves as "Miss".

Many women seem happy with the ability to chose their title. Some believe that employers are more favorable towards a "Miss" than a "Mrs." Perhaps "Miss" conjures up a more pleasant image when reviewing resumes. Or perhaps the prospective boss thinks that a "Miss" might be more available to advances, I really don't know.

Of course there are some women not excited about the change. I'm not quite sure why, but there was a quote about fooling oneself.

I, of course, think it is a moderately good idea. The best option is the term "Ms." When I'm writing a letter to a woman named Sally Jones, I don't want to have to figure out whether she is married or not. It is extremely unlikely that the marital status has any relevance. Its just so much simpler. And while I'm not a feminist, I do think its a bit antiquated to have women indicate there marital status through "Miss" or "Mrs."

No comments: