Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Another Year

As previously blogged, I went to the Thai Immigration office today to "find out" if my visa was approved. As was virtually certain, it was approved.

Once again, the experience was made much easier by Tim's contact in the Immigration Office. It is very easy for someone to spend four or more hours getting visas renewed. Employees and the families of foreign corporations and governments usually bypass this process entirely, as the corporation or government handles everything. For someone like me, having the contact in the office is a blessing.

I arrived by cab at 9:30 a.m. I took a cab since parking is absolutely horrendous. My contact did not arrive until twenty minutes later. She took my passport, and while I waited in her office, went to the correct counter and had my passport stamped. One of the ladies in her office then filled out the application for a multiple entry permit for me. Without this permit, if I left Thailand, my visa would no longer be valid. My contact then took the application and fee, and returned with my completed passport. The entire process took less than forty-five minutes.

I brought a few bags of oranges as a thank you for all of the help. She would have helped regardless, but I wanted to offer some token of my appreciation. On previous trips, I saw applicants carrying bottles of Johnny Walker Black Label, which I am certain were meant as gifts for immigration officials. I've read stories of people applying for visas who are told by the immigration official that it is too much work, or too difficult. This is usually a thinly veiled request for a gift or "tea money". Fortunately, that is not something that I have had to employ.

No comments: