Friday, February 20, 2009

Laps

I don't want to turn this into a blog about what is bothering me, but I find this next thing both amusing and annoying. This one involves my workout at the pool.

For the last month or so, I have been swimming as part of my workout routine. I try to get to the gym at about 8:30 a.m., work out for thirty minutes, and then swim. The club has an Olympic sized pool, which is fifty meters long and twenty-five meters wide. It is divided into ten lanes length-wise.

There are usually only a few people in the pool by the time I am ready to swim. There is a woman who swims for while, then suns herself, and later swims some more. She is usually there three or four days a week.

The other "regular" is older Asian gentleman. Although he is missing quite a bit of his hair, he does wear a swim cap. The problem with him is that he is all over the pool. I pick a lane and swim in it. On rare occasions, I might drift slightly out of the lane. This guy, however, is all over the pool. He swims diagonally across the pool. Sometimes I think that he must have ran track, because he does pool laps like you do track laps; in a circle.

The reason this guy concerns me, is that I really don't want to bump into someone while swimming. There is absolutely no reason that I should have to worry about bumping into someone when there are two people swimming in an Olympic size pool. With this guy, I do, because he is everywhere.

No comments: