Monday, February 16, 2009

Mosquito Racket

I've mentioned before that mosquitoes are a problem here in Thailand. I guess its not a surprise that the little blood sucking insects thrive in a warm and wet climate.

This year seems much worse than last year. I'm not sure if its the fact that we have a small yard at the new house, or if its more universal. At night the kids and I wear the Thai equivalent of off, although Tim refuses because she doesn't like the smell.

We leave our shoes outside the house, and before I put mine on, I just nudge them and a swarm of mosquitoes fly out. Jacob's shoes also seem to attract the little pests, as does Aleena's bike helmet and her seat on my bike. We have some storage at the front of the house where the mosquitoes live.

We had the landlord spray, but it really didn't do much. Over the last few weeks, I've been spraying and killing a lot of mosquitoes. The problem is that I really don't like to spray on to things that people touch.

The solution to my problem turned out to be a lot of fun. They sell these electric tennis rackets that zap mosquitoes. Its great, you hold down a button, swat the insect, and the racket gives them a slight correction. By slight correction I mean it kills them, which as far as I'm concerned, is their "correct" state.

I am now actually enjoying taking care of the insects. Perhaps my sadistic side is manifesting itself, or maybe I feel like I am getting revenge for all the bites that I suffered.

Unfortunately, the pain has not been all on the insect's side. The racket is rechargeable, and when I tried to recharge it the first time, I turned it off and plugged it into the wall. I didn't realize that the charging unit and the electrified racket were detachable. When I was plugging it in, I touched the metal part of the racket. Even though the power switch was in the off position, I got a shock.



No comments: