Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Back to Dreamworld Again, For the Umteenth Time


Girls at Dreamworld, originally uploaded by eBv iMAGES.

Today, I took the kids and three friends to Dreamworld. With Yaow in tow, we were only outnumbered three to one.

The kids had fun as usual. The weather was mild and the crowd was sparse, so they got to ride a lot of rides instead of stewing in sweltering lines. Lunch at KFC is a must of course.

The real "interesting" part of the day was the way to Dreamworld. I was pulled over by Thailand's finest. There was another car pulled over receiving a ticket, and another car pulling away after having received one.

I was given a ticket for an illegal lane change. It was absolutely nonsense. In truth, I was ticketed because I pulled up at the exact moment he was done with the previous driver.

Yaow tried to help interpret. I assumed that the officer was seeking "tea money". When I put some under my license, he indicated that he only wanted the license. I called Tim and had her talk to him, but to no avail.

The biggest pain is that they take your license, and you have to go to the station and pay the fine to get your license back. Fortunately, I think there is someone who is going to be able to help me out.

I was pretty annoyed as I was driving largely because I really didn't know why I was pulled over. If he had been seeking tea money, I would have understood. As I continued driving, I saw a lot of police on this road. They pulled over a car driving in front of me who appeared to be doing absolutely nothing wrong.

Then it hit me. They were out in force to just issue tickets. As soon as the officer was done writing one ticket, pull over the next car that went by. I don't think it's like in the states where you might successfully challenge a ticket. Perhaps, it is an end of the month quota issue, or just an aggressive campaign, I don't know.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Almost sounds like you were on I-71back here at home.

Dave