Thursday, July 23, 2009

Western Vacation - Prequel

I had to travel quite a long ways before I could begin my trip west.  My flight from Thailand to the United States involved stops in Narita (Tokyo) and Detroit, and took about twenty-seven hours.  The trip itself was largely uneventful.  I did almost lose the lens hood for my Canon 24-105 lens (again), but I retraced my steps in the Narita airport and found it.

I stayed at mom and dad's for three days before I flew out west.  I debated whether I wanted to stay there or at my empty house in Anderson Township.  Its not that I didn't want to stay with mom and dad, but I didn't want to disturb them, as I knew my routine would be anything but routine at times.  I'm really glad that I stayed at my parents though. It was nice spending time with them, and if I had stayed at my house, I would have seen them a lot less.  It also let me see more of Laura, Eric, Tom, Heather, my nieces and my nephews.

During my first few days in Cincinnati I spent a fair bit of time and money shopping.  I was able to cut through a pretty big part of my list of things to bring back.  My largest purchase was a new laptop, which I rationalized that I needed to download my photos.  Additionally, I had a few packages waiting for me when I arrived.  I had ordered a battery pack, some lens filters, and a wireless remote for my camera. 

I even managed to exercise a bit despite the jet lag from my trip.  I ran two miles a couple of days, although my choice to do so in the afternoon heat did not make the effort any easier.  Still, I was determined not to gain weight when I returned.  Yaow had teased me that I would gain ten pounds when I returned home, and I was determined to prove her wrong.  I also didn't want to lose weight, because then she might think that I missed her cooking so much that I wouldn't eat.  My weight when I returned to Thailand was within a pound or two of my weight when I left.  Not too bad.
 

No comments: