Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Funny Moment

On our first day in Las Vegas, Jeff and I were heading up to our room to drop off our luggage.  There was a group of six or seven people waiting for the elevators.  These individuals were of Asian descent, and I overheard them speaking to one another in Thai.  

We got on the elevator and they pressed the button for floor ten.  Jeff and I were staying on the fourteenth floor, so I said "sip see, kab".  "Sip see" is fourteen in Thai, and males add "kab" to the end of a sentence as part of Thai manners.  They all turned around and graced me with an astonished look.  I said "pom pood pasad Thai die nit noi, kab".  This translates as "I speak a little Thai."  They started laughing, and one of them said that by saying that, I could speak more than a little Thai.  They said that they were surprised to hear Thai, as I did not have a Thai face.  Thai's not exactly like English in that you can expect to hear spoken by at least some local wherever you go. 

They were laughing and talking when they left the elevator.  I thought that it was pretty funny, and I was reminded what a small world it is sometimes. 

No comments: