Saturday, April 26, 2008

Alchohol For Sale

I was in Carrefour (a grocery chain based out of France) picking up grocies on Friday morning. I put a bottle of Johnny Walker Black Label (okay, its not the best Scotch in the world, but its 12 years old, tastes pretty good, and is reasonably priced). When I went to check out, the clerk told me that he couldn't sell it to me.

Turns out that you can only buy alchohol here from 11:00 a.m. through 2:00 p.m. and from 5:00 p.m. until midnight. Selling it outside the proscribed period can result in a jail sentence of two years, or so a sign I read proclaimed.

I'm not sure of the exact reason for this law. Although I had no intention of actually drinking until later in the evening, I'm sure that Thais everywhere are much safer that I did not make my purchase.

No comments: