Sunday, April 20, 2008

Teak Palace

Today we visited the teak palace. I've been there before, and remembered that it was very nice. What I didn't remember is that you cannot take pictures in or outside the palace itself. Apparently its a respect thing.

Frankly, it really pissed me off and put me in an extremely foul mood. While Tim and the kids visited the different buildings, I waited outside. When they ate lunch at the restaurant on the grounds, I sat and watched.

When I was going through security to the teak palace itself, the female guard saw the bulge in my pocket from the keys. Instead of asking me to empty my pocket, she reach over and grabbed "suspicious" bulge. I was going to ask her if needed a special ticket for that kind of service, but with Tim and the kids there, I refrained. I can't imagine someone doing that in the U.S.

I could understand not letting you take pictures, particularly flash pictures inside the palace. They wouldn't let you take them of the outside of the teak palace. They wouldn't even let you take a cell phone inside lest you sneak a picture. Of course, I saw one guy on the phone in front of the guards for about 30 minutes, and another woman taking pictures.

While I would recommend people to see it if they visit Thailand, they will do it without me around because I'll never go back. I think I am going to delete the few pictures I took in the areas that you were permitted.

No comments: