Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Aleena & Reading

One of my responsibilities while staying at home with the kids is teaching Aleena to read. Sometimes is challenging to motivate her, while other times she is a willing pupil.

Aleena knows how to spell her own name, and recognizes the letters in her name. She recognizes about 12 or so letter, usually because they are in the name of a family member or friend.

Like her sister, Aleena loves to write on a whiteboard, so I use some laminated sheets with letters on them. Aleena then traces the letters, identifying the names and sound. Another trick is one I learned from Tim. I draw the mommy (capital) letter and the baby (small) letter, and have Aleena draw a line connecting them. I think she used the technique with Nalin, but I'm not sure about Jacob.

No comments: