Wednesday, August 6, 2008

More GTA in News

There was something in the paper yesterday about crime related to video games. I really get annoyed with stories that claim that kids are committing crime because of what they see in a video game.

A few points. First of all, Grand Theft Auto and other "mature" games are not meant for children. They contain adult themes and are meant for adults. Do they portray criminals in a glamorous light? Sure they do, as do TV shows such as the Sopranos, the Wire, and the Shield just to name a few. I would not want my kids exposed to Grand Theft Auto like I wouldn't want them to watch the shows mentioned above. They are not ready for those shows. Do I think that watching the shows would lead them to a life of crime? No, but I think they are not ready for such dark and conflicting themes.

So parents should rightly keep their kids away from GTA and its ilk until they are in their teens. There is an additional challenge here in Thailand, in that a lot of kids play the games at Internet cafes. The fix is easy, at least in theory. The Internet cafe owners need to implement and enforce a policy against letting young children play mature games. I know in a land where everyone turns a blind eye to things that might be a challenge, but its better than the alternative.

As an American, the whole idea of restricting something like a game is pretty repugnant to me. Even if you believe that the games can cause violence in younger people, is that a reason to prevent anyone from playing? Does anyone honestly believe that if I played Grand Theft Auto, that I would go kill a cabbie to steal his cash and ride? Are my forty year old friends going to go cruising around town shooting people to simulate the game? Its not going to happen.

We are not hearing of hundreds of stories of video game inspired violence. When such an occurrence is claimed, it is trumpeted all over the world, so we would definitely know about it.
So the problem, if it exists at all, is isolated to a very few people. Why should we take the choice out the hands of responsible people.

Okay, Brian, but what if we just save one life? Wouldn't it be worth it then? Frankly, no, it would not. Of course if it were my child whose life was saved, I would undoubtedly think differently. If saving just one life is a justification for regulating behavior, we should wear helmets and Michelin man type outfits as we drive around in our cars at 25 mph. That would save a heck of a lot of lives.

No comments: