Sunday, August 3, 2008

Pre-Party Prep

First off, this might not be a mom safe post. Its actually not that bad of a post, but if the concept of me imbibing alcohol is in any way distressing, don't read any further.

What do you do when you are going to a party and are under dressed and don't speak the language of virtually all of the attendees (would that be called under-languaged, or would American be synonym enough?)? Do what I do, drink some Scotch. A few glasses of twelve year old Chivas Regal does the trick nicely.

How will this turn out? Well, as I am not a prognosticator with unparalleled talent, I really don't know. But as a personal historian who will live through the moment, I'll be able to let you know tomorrow.

Have I already started drinking? Perhaps. Has it impaired my judgement? Certainly. Will it help me have a better time? Bet on it.

Attending a party where you don't speak the dominate language isn't easy. When my brother-in-law Top was married twelve or so years ago, it wasn't an easy experience. He had eight hundred guests, all of whom spoke Thai. While many spoke English, they were often embarrassed to speak English in front of me. Its a face thing. I have to be completely sober to understand and explain. In any case, I was in the greeting line for Top's wedding and I smiled so much that my jaw actually hurt. Most of the time you might smile, but you break it up with conversation. Since most people didn't speak English with me, I smiled and hurt. Tonight, however, if I need to smile a lot, I'm ready. Thanks Chivas.

No comments: