Saturday, September 13, 2008

30 Hours Door to Door

Well, I'm finally back in Thailand. From the time I left my house in Cincinnati until I stepped in our home in Thailand, approximately thirty hours elapsed.

So how did I spend this time? About twenty one hours was flight time; one hour to Detroit, thirteen to Tokyo, and seven to Bangkok. I spent an hour and a half driving to and from airports. The remainder was spent waiting in airports.

Overall the trip was not too bad. The flight to Detroit was short and unremarkable. I was very lucky on the flight to Tokyo, as the seat next to me was empty. The extra room makes such a difference. Instead of being shoulder to shoulder with the person next to you, you can stretch out a bit.

Right up until the gates closed for the flight to Bangkok, it looked like karma was really grooving with me again, as the seat next to me was empty. Alas, no one's luck is that good in these days of overcrowded flights, and the seat was occupied at the last minute.

The travel gods once again smiled favorably upon me once we arrived in Bangkok. While the walk to immigration was ten or fifteen minutes, when I arrived I was processed in under five minutes. Of course, a quick jaunt through immigration is only one part of getting out of the airport quickly. All that time avoided waiting in line at immigration can easily be spent standing around watching the luggage carousel go round and round. I was spared that fate, as within five minutes of my arrival, my large pinkish purple bags came into view. You might laugh at my less than testosterone drive choice in baggage color, but when people are trying to figure out if each passing black bag is theirs, I know when my bags arrive.

The trip is never fun, but this one wasn't too bad.

No comments: