Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Scuba Dooby Doo

I took my first scuba lesson today. The instructor's name is a Thai named Ae. I like Ae, although he is a little hard to understand sometimes.



The first part of today's class was a short video on buoyancy followed by a short quiz. Ae then showed me some of the equipment, including the regulator and the bcd (buoyance control device), in addition to the more familiar mask and fins.



I thought that we would not get in the water today, but I wore my swimming trunks just to be sure. Less than an hour into the less we did some confined water diving. That's diver's talk for the swimming pool or something like one. This is opposed to open waters, diver speak for the ocean.



The confined diving was fun. Ae taught me to clear water out of the regulator, retrieve the regulator if it falls out of your mouth, and to clean your mask while underwater. I guess I didn't do too badly for a first timer. Tomorrow I go back for lesson number two.

No comments: