Saturday, February 2, 2008

Birthday Party


Last night we went to Top's birthday party. They hosted it at the Radison, and there were probably more than 100 guests. The fortune teller group of which he is a member put together the party. There were three photographers plus some people working a film camera. My pictures are here. Unfortunately, my flash died which limitted the quality of my snaps.

They had a buffet with Chinsese food, which was pretty decent. There was a lot of entertainment. They had four or five acts including traditional Thai dancers, acrobats in monkey suits (from the epic story Kohn story), as well as some male dancers dressed as females. These were not katoeys who were trying to pass themselves off as female, rather they were a comedic act and made very, very, very unattractive women. It was actually a pretty funny show.

I can't remember if I've mentioned before that Thai people love karaoke. There aren't as many karaoke bars as massage shops, but there are a lot of them. The reason that I mention it is that after the real entertainment, guests came on stage and sang karokee. Some were decent, others average, and some bad. Tim gathered the kids and had them go on stage and sing happy birthday. At that point, all the guests started filing out and the singing ended. Tim voiced my sentiment when she said that we should have sent the kids up earlier.

Overall we had a good time. It was a pretty big celebration for a 41st birthday, but I guess Top is the CEO of a pretty decent sized company. Its funny, I've known Top for almost twenty years now, since the Thomas More College days. In fact, although I didn't know him well, I probably saw him around campus before I met Tim (she started two years after him). He's always been a good guy, and I'm glad to have him as a brother-in-law.

No comments: