Friday, February 8, 2008

School Days

Tim and I had the chance to go to school today to see the kids. Jacob's class put together a movie for the parents. Well, Ms. Souza (his teacher) did the video production, and the kids were the stars. It was a lot of fun.

I'm amazed at how comfortable that Jacob is in speaking in front of people. He really knows how to use tone and to project his voice when he speaks. I really admire his confidence. We signed him up for an after school drama program so he can further develop this skill.

On Monday, Nalin's teacher Ms. Willis returns back from her three month maternity leave. Today there was a "farewell" party for Ms. Stacey, who ably filled in during Ms. Willis' absence.

I've read to Nalin's class a few times, chaperoned a field trip and see the kids most every day when I pick up Nalin. When I've read the past few times, I brought a puppet with me.

Dermit is an orange frog puppet whose cousin is a famous Muppet that I'm sure you've heard of before. Dermit is a bit cynical and frequently makes sarcastic and other "witty" comments while I talk to the kids. He has brought them cookies (which he claims have flies in them). In a lot of ways, Dermit is like the real me, while I am playing nice in front of the kids. Well, one difference is that Dermit has a much higher voice than I, so I just love talking in Dermit's voice for an extended period of time. In any case, the kids know Dermit pretty well, and are very fond of him.

So at 1:30 about 7 or 8 parents go into the classroom to surprise Ms. Stacey. Of course I've brought Dermit along, but I've got him in my backpack because I don't want to detract from Ms. Stacey's moment. When the kids see me, I hear someone say Dermit is here. In less than a minute, twenty-one first graders are chanting "Dermit, Dermit". I felt a bit bad because I really didn't want Dermit (or me) to be the center of attention. The other parents were a bit puzzled at what the kids were talking about.

The kids had to wait a bit for Dermit to actually make an appearance. Poor Dermit had to undergo the constant grabbing of six and seven year old hands, while I fended off the "can I have Dermit" pleas. The party was nice, and the kids really enjoyed eating the cake, cookies, chicken, and other treats brought in by the parents.

No comments: