Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Six Months

I've been in Thailand a little over six months now. If we stay according to plan, that's one quarter of the time that we are going to spend here.

While I have certainly had my share of frustrations, overall the experience has been pretty pleasant. It was obviously a big change, not only moving to a different country with a very different culture (albiet one with which I was not completely unfamiliar), but also changing my role from the primary breadwinner to the primary child care giver (with help from a nanny).

A few more numbers:
156 - The approximate number of days I've been here
113 - The approximate number of days since I've played wow
75 - The percent chance that I'll visit the U.S. this summer with the kids
40 - The birthday I'll celebrate this year
19 - The number of years since my first date with Tim on 2/10/89
8 - The birthday that Jacob will celebrate in March
6 - The number of days a week that Tim generally works
5 - The number of times I've been the mystery reader in Jacob and Nalin's class
2 - The number on a scale of 1 to 10 that I'd rate my photography skills

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wouldn't give you a 2 on your photo skills. Some of your pictures of the kids are great...unless those were taken by Tim.

HeatherV said...

I agree with Dave. The pics look good. Eric and I want to get a new camera, too...one that takes pics at a faster speed. By the time the flash/red eye reduction/and anti shake do their thing, we usually missed the shot. It's even more difficut when you have a 9 month old who can't sit still for that long. We wind up taking 30 pics just to get a few good ones.

Brian V. (aka Spurlock) said...

I take most of the pictures, but I take a LOT of them in order to get a few good ones. I really get frustrated by the ones that are out of focus. It took me a while to get the hang of the lighting thing with the slr's, but the out of focus is especially frustrating, because its usually not fixable.

Hopefully when I go back to the U.S. in summer (or if I don't, I'll fly to Hong Kong) I'll pick up some nicer lenses. At least if I have good lenses I'll really know if I am really bad or its the equipment.

As far as slow pictures, I know what you mean. I liked my Kodak camera, but it took way too long to take a picture. It was like "Here is the picture of 5 seconds after the kids did this really cool thing." As a reference Dave, it was like Wild Bill Sedgwick taking snapshots for you.