Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Mystery Reader

A big reason that I was willing, and even eager, to come to live in Thailand for a few years is that it would give me the opportunity to spend a lot more time with Jacob, Nalin and Aleena.

One of the ways this manifests itself is by participating in their school activities. Part of this is being the mystery or secret reader for their classes. This basically involves coming to class and reading the kids a few books. Its a mystery or secret because the kids don't know its coming. They generally enjoy it, especially the child whose parent is the actual reader.

Today I was the reader for Jacob's class. I brought Dermit the Frog with me, and while he is not quite as much a celebrity with the second graders as he is the first graders in Nalin's class, he was nonetheless popular. After a bit of schtick with Dermit, I read a couple of books to the kids. I enjoy them at this age because they still appreciate and enjoy silliness. When you use an exagerate voice or facial gesture, they tend to laugh and enjoy it. As I am a bit of a ham at heart, this works well for me.

After I was done, Jacob's teacher came up and talked to me for a minute. She and I have really worked together for Jacob's benefit. When he first got here, he really had a tough time staying focussed in class. I think it was a function of his personality plus changes of the move. Through a lot of work on his part, and Ms. Souza's support, he really has made a lot of progress.

Anyway, Ms. Souza's husband is the the middle school administration (principle or vice principle I think). She said that she had mentioned to him how the kids enjoyed my reading to them, he suggested to her that I should sign up to be a substitute teacher.

Honestly, it was something I've never really considered. I mean, I've actually thought that at some point, if money no longer becomes a driving issue, that I might want to teach, but I never thought of substituting. I think I told her that I'd have to think about it.

Part of me is really interested. It would be a good opportunity to see what it is like to teach. I view it as another life experience, and that's another reason I came here. One concern that I have is that I don't want to be constantly on call. I will probably follow up and find out what the demands are going to be. I really want to figure out how to be a better than horrible photographer.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I always thought you would make a good teacher. Look at how good you did on our mentoring program. You should give it a try.

Brian V. (aka Spurlock) said...

Exactly which Acme "mentee" am I being held responsible for? Remember, Michael was Dave's charge.

Unknown said...

I think it's great. You should do it. I love when my parents read to me!