Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Bracing for Trick or Treaters

On Friday I am doing a Halloween activity for Aleena's class. Her teacher asks parents to do something for a holiday from their country. The Canadians snatched up Thanksgiving and the Europeans locked out Christmas with their version.

I can't say that I was too disappointed to do Halloween, as is a pretty kick butt holiday. My plan was to have the kids dress up in outrageous costumes, drink beer until they're sick, and carve pumpkins in inappropriate scenes of debauchery. Okay, not so much, but stories, crafts, and a wee bit of candy is fun too.

Apparently Halloween used to be a big event at ISB. The kids would dress up in costumes and they would have a big parade. Then the fun police came out and decided that either candy was bad for the kids, or the holiday was too American, or they were traumatized when someone laughed at their Jack Sparrow costume. Be assured, the fun police were not Thai. In general, Thai's enjoy holidays and having fun. A secular holiday like Halloween is right up their alley. To mix my holiday metaphors, the grinches are of the falang variety.

The worst part about it is that I am trying to teach the kids about Halloween and we can't go around the quad and trick or treat. Its a shame.

Despite the lack of Halloween festivities at ISB, Nichada Thani will rock out Halloween. The club is hosting a party, but most importantly, there will be a whole lot of trick or treating going on. Not only will most kids in Nichada come to trick or treat, but kids from all over will descend on our community. Unlike in the U.S. where virtually every neighborhood has trick or treating, there are very few good trick or treating communities. Before we moved here, Tim was here one Halloween with the kids. She was staying with her brother in another part of town, but they came here to trick or treat.

Last year we ran out of candy when I was out with the kids, so I really don't know how many trick or treaters that we had. On my way home from the IT Square today, I stopped by Macro to pick up some candy. I ran into about 6 or 7 Nichada moms in the candy section. One said that she was expecting 500 trick or treaters. It should be fun.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I will be visting Bangkok with my kids, who are looking forward to Halloween. What night is the trick or treat in Nichada Thani this year? I hope its Sat the 27th. Thanks