Saturday, January 17, 2009

What Happened Today

Tim left early this morning to attend a ceremony to create a statue for their company. She had to finish up some work before she left, so I think she got up at 3:00 a.m. The ceremony is pretty much an all day affair at a place a few hours from the city. The entire family went to a similar event last year, and it really isn't very much fun for kids. Top and Tham also went today, but left their kids at home as well.

Another reason that we didn't go is that Jacob has his last soccer game today. I misread the schedule and we showed up at 8:00 a.m. for a 10:40 a.m. game. The kids just played at school until game time (of course the girls played during the game as well).

The game ended in a 3-3 tie, and Jacob's team finished in first place in their league. Jacob was goalie for the first half of the game and gave up only one goal. He had stopped a shot and was holding the ball. His coach yelled for him to drop the ball in front of a particular teammate with a strong leg to kick it. Jacob didn't understand what he was saying, and handed the ball to his teammate. Of course, when his teammate touched it with his hand, it was a penalty. The other team got a penalty shot with no wall and scored.

During the second half, Jacob played defense and performed pretty well. With about five minutes left in the game, his team went down 3-1. They rallied with two goals in the final few minutes to preserve their undefeated season.

Jacob was very happy after the game, as each team member received two trophies; one for finishing in first and one that everyone in the league receives. As we were walking to our bikes, Jacob informed me that he liked to collect trophies.

It turns out that my blog on the end of my daughters' dancing "careers" was premature. Nalin changed her mind and decided that she wanted to the jazz class again. I also ended up signing Aleena up for a dancing and singing class.

In the afternoon we went to the pool at the Nichada Club. I'm a member of the club, which includes use of the gym, pool and the back gate with easy access to the expressway and Chaeng Wattana. The kids had fun playing at the pool in the adjacent sand box. Sand box does not quite do it justice, it contains two soccer goals and I imagine that is big enough to play beach volley ball on it.

Apparently Jacob made some new friends who did not speak English. The good thing is that Jacob talks enough for three or four kids. Yeah, I know where he got it from.

I cooked dinner tonight. I picked up some pre-made crusts and made pizza for the kids. Additionally, I made "home-made" ravioli and pasta. Making pasta is surprisingly easy, just egg and flour. When I was back in the states I bought a pasta roller and cutter, which makes getting the right shape and consistency a lot easier. I filled some of the ravioli with sauteed mushroom and others with fake crab. Everyone really liked the dinner, so I guess I didn't do too bad of a job.

One thing that is very nice about cooking here is that I don't have to clean up. Booah cleaned the dishes and even helped me a bit. Stuffing the ravioli took longer than I thought, so she played soush chef.

After dinner, the kids did their routine and watched a little television (Star Wars the Clone Wars, episode 13). By eight o'clock, Tim and the kids were sleeping, while I was photo editing and blogging. Not the most exciting day ever recorded electronically, but it was pretty nice.

No comments: