Thursday, February 4, 2010

Its All Downhill


Its All Downhill
Originally uploaded by ebvImages
Sedona was really a beautiful place and I really enjoyed my brief visit there this past summer. I was there less than twenty-four hours, but the surrounding mountains and landscape is absolutely beautiful.

I took the Pink Jeep Tour's combination Broken Arrow and Scenic Rim tours. The Broken Arrow tour is exclusive to Pink Jeep. By exclusive, I mean that they are the only tour company allowed to give the tour, but it is on U.S. government land, so if you want to bring your four wheel drive vehicle and drive it yourself, you can. Just make sure that you know what you are doing, because if you have problems, you are largely on your own. Neither AAA or the government will come help you if you are stuck.

I ended up riding shotgun in the jeep, which was really great for photos because the windshield was down almost the entire trip.
I took my camera on the tour, but left the trusty ol' tripod in the rental car. It turned out to be a good decision, because we were only out of the car a few times. It was a little cloudy, which made it not only a little cooler, but made light a lot less harsh. I really couldn't have asked for a nicer situation.

This shot is one of the other jeeps driving down the forty-five degree angle slope.  After we rode down it, we drove a little way and stopped to wait for this jeep to come along so we could take photos.

The tour driver was pretty personable, but he was a little opinionated about things, and by the end of the tour, I was a bit annoyed with his hippy-lite philosophy.  Still, he was enthusiastic about the area, and even his annoying qualities couldn't diminish the trips enjoyment.  At one point he mentioned his interest in the space program, and it turns out that one of the other tourists worked on the Apollo program.  She had started as a secretary and moved up in the NASA organization, retiring in the last ten years.  It was mildly interesting the first time or two she mentioned it.  After the sixth or seventh time, I really just didn't care.  Still, not even close to annoying enough to spoil the mood.

I want to go back to Sedona and spend some more time there.  There is a lot of hiking available, and I didn't get to see some of the sites in my brief visit.  It was a lot more commercial than some of the other places I visited, but it was definitely different than other places I've been.

No comments: