Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Tale of Two Ladyboys

I was looking through my photos again, so it was a great time to revisit some blogging topics.  This time I am going to talk about that ever popular subject in Thailand, the ladyboy.

Ladyboys, or katoey as they are known in Thai are better known in English as transsexuals.  Unlike in the U.S., and probably most Western countries, where they are on the very fringes of society, here ladyboys are quite common.  There is no open discrimination against them, although it seems like they are somewhat limited in their professions.  There are a lot of them in the sex industry, and also industries like hair dressing, waitressing and other occupations that have a higher concentration of female workers.

Ladyboys are still legally male here, as is indicated on their national identity card.  There is actually a movement to try to get a third gender recognized to deal with some of the issues of having them classified as males.  Right now they go to a male prison.  It doesn't take a lot of imagination to figure out the problems that this might cause.

Another issue is that Thailand has compulsory military service for males.  There was a photo in the Bangkok Post of recruits in a room awaiting a physical.  The ladyboy in pink stood out.  She was disqualified from service because she had a "disfigured chest".  I am going to try to use that excuse if I'm caught looking at a girls chest.  "It was so disfigured dear, I couldn't look away."

I've had very little direct dealings with ladyboys.  Sure, I've seen them in the grocery store on occasion, and certainly when walking around in Pattaya and Phuket.  There was a ladyboy who works in the Build a Bear store in Central Chaengwattana who I didn't realize was not a woman until she spoke.  She fooled Aleena however.

When I was visiting Phuket back in November 2008, I had three interactions with ladyboys.  The purpose of my trip was to take photos of the people at the Vegetarian Festival, where the participants pierce their face with various sharp instruments.   After one morning of taking photos, a pair of katoeys came up to me and asked me to take their photo.  They were very nice about it so I did.  They didn't ask me for money or harass me in any way.

The Third Gender

In the evening, I took a stroll down  Bangla Road in Patong beach.  As I walked by Soi Crocodile (small street named Crocodile), I saw a group of five or six ladyboys in full dresses and costumes.  They approached everyone who walked by to try to get them to take photos, come see the show, and perhaps even a private show if that is one's desire.  It wasn't mine.  The girls were very aggressive.  I did give the "girls" a small tip and took some photos.

Ladyboys

Dude Looks Like a Lady

My final ladyboy experience came as I was walking down beach road the next day.  When you walk down beach road in Patong, you are bombarded with solicitations for taxis, t-shirts, suits, and massages.  A very attractive woman came up and stood just inches in front of me.  She offered me a massage which included "lip service" (she was more explicit) for about $30.  Naturally I decline.  As close as she was to me, I couldn't tell that it was not a woman.  The only reason that I figured it out was that the other people around her were very obviously ladyboys.  It did make me wonder how often her offer was accepted by someone who wasn't aware of the extra "package" she was bringing to the table.

I do want to go to a ladyboy cabaret show again.  I went back when I came to Thailand the first time back in 94.  I figure I'll get some decent photos for the blog.

No comments: