Sunday, November 14, 2010

Wish You Still Snored

I was talking to my wife this morning after her run.  She was telling me how she had woken up early in the morning and couldn't fall back to sleep.  She wanted to talk, and couldn't tell if I was awake or not.  Then she told me "I wish you still snored, then I could tell if you were awake or asleep."

That is something that I never quite expected to hear.  As some of you know, I had sleep apnea for quite a few years.  I snored loudly and would stop breathing.  Miraculously, Tim was able to sleep through it all.  Finally, in 1998 I broke down and had surgery to remove my tonsils, fix my deviated septum, and remove my uvula.  

It was a pretty amazing transformation.  Not only did I stop snoring and sleep better, I started dreaming again.  It was such a vivid experience at first, because I had not remembered dreaming in over ten years.

As I put on some weight since the surgery, I started snoring again.  I no longer had apnea and didn't snore as loudly as I had before, but I still snored.  Apparently the exercise and weight loss has eliminated the snoring, or at least reduced it to the point where Tim can no longer hear it.    

No comments: