Thursday, March 6, 2008

Another One Bites the Dust

Yeah, that's right, we lost another driver. This was was probably the best of the lot, but things just did not work out. There were probably a few reasons for it. I think working for us is probably more like working for a traditional Thai employer than for a lot of the foreigners who live here. A lot of the workers around here are more accustomed to easier schedule and higher pay of more traditional falang employers.

I won't go into all the details, but I walked outside yesterday about 10 minutes before the kids tennis lessons and the driver wasn't there. I called and he said he'd be there in 10 minutes. We let him standby at his house which is only a few minutes away, but he is supposed to let me or the nanny know before he leaves. He had dropped us off less than an hour before, and hadn't mentioned leaving. I was pretty annoyed and called Tim. She called him and told him that if he keeps doing this she won't be able to keep him on. He said "fine" and hung up.

Next week I think I'm going to get a driver's license. It will just make things a lot easier. The nice thing about a driver is that they know there way around and it avoids the parking mess that is Bangkok. It is, however, pretty frustrating to deal with drivers.

No comments: